Since 1973, The South Texas Blood & Tissue Center has partnered with the South Texas healthcare system as a facility where anyone age sixteen or older can donate blood to save the lives of others. In 1994, the Center moved its headquarters to a facility designed by Overland Partners that includes a donor pavilion and state-of-the-art laboratory facilities.
The obvious solution to both problems was to build a new state-of-the-art facility in a highly visible location. The site chosen was a stretch of land that runs parallel to a section of Interstate 10, which daily is one of the most highly trafficked areas of San Antonio. With the selection of such prime real estate, however, the problem still remained as to how to market the facility to drive-by traffic in such a way that passers-by would begin to think about coming back there to donate blood.
Where do drivers get most of their drive-by information? From billboards, of course. Since the Center already had a distinctive and memorable logo of two interlocking hearts (symbolic of one person transferring blood to another), Overland Partners decided to treat the façade like a giant billboard that would emphasize this logo. Constructed from Texas limestone, the 40 x 300 foot façade fronts the highway directly, with the logo inset into a square opening at one end.
This building is a celebration of selfless generosity in giving blood for others’ needs. It is a crown of thanks for our donors’ gift of life.
- AIA San Antonio Design Award 1998
- Construction Services Institute Regional Design Honor Award, Exceptional Craftsmanship 1997
- Construction Services Institute San Antonio Design Honor Award, Exceptional Craftsmanship 1997
- San Antonio Water System Conservation Award 1997
- State of Texas Prototype for Sustainable Design and Water Conservation 1997
- TSA Design Honor Award 1996
- Associated Builders and Contractors Awards First Place, Excellence in Construction 1995
- Texas Architect, “Front and Back,” September 1996
- San Antonio Express News, “A Collection with Heart,” July 1996
- San Antonio Medical Gazette, “Grow with the Flow,” February 1995
- San Antonio Express News, “New Blood Bank Headquarters to Collect Roof’s Rainwater,” July 1993