For many years, sick children in San Antonio and the surrounding region had limited access to innovative, specialized health care. Without a hospital dedicated to the unique needs of pediatric patients, families often faced a paralyzing decision: compromise the quality of their child’s care or transplant to a city with the resources they needed. Christus Santa Rosa wanted to change that by converting their downtown hospital to a world class facility, the Children’s Hospital of San Antonio.
When a child is sick, especially when they are chronically so, desperate parents often find their lives drained of emotional and financial resources. Weeks spent in dreary hospital corridors, batteries of expensive tests, days without seeing trees and grass, and extended leave from jobs all take a toll on a family during one of the most frightening and vulnerable times of their lives.
The Sister of Charity of the Incarnate Word wanted to create a ministry that would speak to the needs of pediatric health care in San Antonio’s most underserved communities. They would continue their faith-based, nonprofit mission as they had for almost 150 years, but they wanted to do so in a space that communicated hope, renewal, and a commitment to quality care. WHR of Houston would handle the interior renovation, creating the kind of medical facility that would attract top physicians and specialists. Overland served as exterior architect, tasked with broadcasting this new hope to the community.
- Chicago Athenaeum, Good Design – Building Products 2016
- Centro San Antonio Best of Awards, Best Work in Progress 2015
- Healthcare Design, “Modern Age: The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio,” March 2017
- Health Facilities Management, “Hospital’s Design Puts Children First,” December 2016
- The Architect’s Newspaper, “A First for Multi-Colored Ceramic Fritted Channel Glass,” October 2016
- Glass Magazine, “Great Glazing: The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio,” October 2016
- PR Web, “Bendheim Channel Glass Enlivens Children’s Hospital Facade with Color and Light,” September 2016
- San Antonio Express-News, “Children’s Hospital Long Has Cared for SA Kids,” August 2015
- The Rivard Report, “How the Children’s Hospital is Revolutionizing Health Care with Food,” July 2015
- The Rivard Report, “Children’s Hospital a Beacon of Light and Hope,” July 2015
- San Antonio Express-News, “Children’s Hospital Gets Big Booster Shot,” April 2015
- San Antonio Express-News, “San Antonio Making Transformation to Children’s Hospital,” January 2015
- The Rivard Report, “Children’s Hospital of San Antonio Designed with Family in Mind,” October 2014
- San Antonio Express-News, “Children’s Hospital of SA invests in Nutrition,” June 2014
Visit the official site for The Childrens Hospital of San Antonio Website
IN ASSOCIATION WITH WHR